Mom Knows Best

Useful information intended for college students and graduates starting out on their own, from daily living tips, to recipes, freebies, budgeting and much, much more.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Using an Exercise Ball in Place of Your Desk Chair

If you were to walk by my desk as I prepare this posting, you would see me bouncing and stretching. The idea is not new but the popularity has grown. After reading countless articles about the benefits of exercise balls, my husband and I recently swapped our office chairs with these colorful replacements. When your college or work commitments preclude you from sticking to an exercise regimen, this is a great way to keep yourself moving, on your own time. It is actually kind of fun, too. You needn't bounce continuously, but 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there can really add some valuable movement to your day.

There are a number of benefits that attracted us to make the switch. For me, it was the idea that during the winter months, especially during this unusually snowy, icy and cold northeast winter, we tend to be more sedentary. The ball keeps me moving and encourages me to change position, which in turn increases circulation, and naturally warms me up while I work. You may wish to do a search online to read the pros and cons of exercise balls as office chairs, so you can evaluate if purchasing one is right for you.

Additionally, I was alerted to the fact that the ball strengthens your back and abdominal muscles, while improving your balance. Start slowly, building up to 30 minutes a day, and increase your time as you achieve your comfort level. Many use it as a permanent substitution for their chair. I tend to switch back and forth throughout the day.

Another advantage for purchasing the ball is that it is not just intended for sitting on! The ball can also be used for countless other exercises, as described in the accompanying direction manual.

Exercise balls range in price, but generally a decent one can be purchased for approximately $15. I have noticed them for less at places like Marshalls, Target, and TJ Maxx. A pump is usually provided to inflate the ball. That takes a little muscle and time, but it is easy to do. Be sure to choose the ball that is appropriate for your height. The brands I considered offered 3 different sized balls.

If there is one downside to the ball, it is the fact that it requires some storage space alongside your chair. That may be challenging for college students already living in a cramped dorm room. Give it some thought. You may become the topic of conversation on your floor, and start a trend! Happy bouncing!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Help make this a better blog. Comments welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home