Mom Knows Best

Useful information intended for college students and graduates starting out on their own, from daily living tips, to recipes, freebies, budgeting and much, much more.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Irresistible Brunch Recipe: French Toast Casserole

I don't know about you but I could eat breakfast foods for any meal of the day. Brunch is by far my favorite meal, especially when it is enjoyed leisurely and with good company. The cold winter months are ideal for planning a Sunday brunch with friends. This easy recipe for French Toast Casserole can be prepared on Saturday night and popped in the oven on Sunday morning, prior to the arrival of your guests (ooops.....Note to Self: college students are more than likely sound asleep Sunday morning and may not be awake until Sunday afternoon!). While the directions recommend placing the casserole in the fridge overnight before baking, in a pinch it can also be prepared and baked last minute for any meal of the day. This recipe dates back to my college days, and it continues to be a big hit every time I serve it.

French Toast Casserole

6 - 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: Overnight (the longer it has to absorb the egg mixture, the fluffier it tends to be)
Baking time: 50 minutes

1 long loaf of French bread - - I prefer to use a challah (a Jewish egg bread, available in many grocery stores and bakeries, more easily found on a Friday, the start of the Jewish Sabbath)
8 large eggs (I use 4 whole eggs and 8 egg whites)
3 cups milk (nonfat is fine)
4 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt (Reduce by half)
1 T vanilla
2 T butter, cut into pieces (I omit)

Generously spray or butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Cut bread into 1 inch thick slices. Arrange bread in a single layer over bottom of prepared dish. I fill in all the gaps with small pieces of bread.

Beat eggs, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in large bowl until mixed. Pour over bread. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover (dot with butter, if you choose) and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until bread is puffy and golden brown, and knife inserted comes out clean. Serve plain or with your favorite honey or syrup.

This freezes well. I often freeze it by the slice for a quick meal. Just let me know when you will be baking this recipe and I will be happy to join you! I'll bring the syrup.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At May 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM , Anonymous Sarah said...

    making the challah french toast for some friends this morning! thanks for the recipe!!! one of my all-time favorites.

     

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Help make this a better blog. Comments welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home