Mom Knows Best

Useful information intended for college students and graduates starting out on their own, from daily living tips, to recipes, freebies, budgeting and much, much more.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Dining at a Discount

It's exam time and you hardly have time to cook for yourself, much less grocery shop. Consider checking out the website Restaurant.com for dining gift certificates at a reduced price.

Personally, I was skeptical when I first read about the site. What was the catch? Why would they sell me a gift certificate for $10 that provided me with $25 off my check? There's no catch; it truly works and it's honorable. Restaurants are hopeful that you will take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy a discounted meal, and return time and again, while also recommending them to others. It’s a marketing strategy.

So here’s how it works: Enter your zip code and find restaurants in your area. Purchase $25 gift certificates for $10, and/or $10 gift certificates for $3. Be certain to follow all the restrictions relative to the restaurant you choose, including the minimum food purchase, hours and days of use, etc. The information is clearly presented, but you must be attentive to the limitations. The restaurant menus and prices are also provided, making it easier to choose a restaurant within your budget. Print the certificate and you’re on your way. Be sure that you provide your waiter with the certificate prior to ordering. Restaurant.com is also helpful when you are planning a vacation and want to cut back on your dining costs. Heading to Puerto Rico, New York City, Boston, San Francisco or "Small Town USA"? Check it out.

I regularly receive emails from Restaurant.com notifying me of ongoing specials. Frequently you can order gift certificates for 70 and 80% off. Instead of purchasing the $25 gift certificates for $10, I've purchased them for as little as $2 (80% off) and $3 (70% off). By purchasing a few certificates during these promotional periods, I have enjoyed using them myself, or have given them as gifts to my kids who attend college in the Boston area. While the certificates do have expiration dates, some states have laws governing these expiration dates, like CT, where I reside, where gift certificates are not allowed to expire.

Presently Restaurant.com is offering a promotion on their site called "Feed It Forward". Between now and Christmas, you can give 3 free $10 gift certificates, each day, to friends and family. What do you have to lose? Read about it on their home page. I've been enjoying passing the freebies along.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Help make this a better blog. Comments welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home