Mom Knows Best

Useful information intended for college students and graduates starting out on their own, from daily living tips, to recipes, freebies, budgeting and much, much more.

Monday, April 20, 2009

LinkedIn for the College Student

It seems "virtually" impossible (pun intended!) to keep up with the constant changes on the Internet, especially when it comes to social media. A year and a half ago, when I first joined Facebook, much to the chagrin and bewilderment of my kids, I was hard-pressed to convince my peers to follow in my footsteps and allow me to "friend" them on Facebook. Hey, why should my kids have all the fun? There are still a few dissenters (you know who you are, not to mention any names!), but even my 87 year old aunt is a regular on Facebook. Recently some of my friends have succumbed and requested the guided tour of Facebook. The mystique has subsided, but the thrill is still there. Who will be the next old friend I locate, or who from a past life might surprise me with a "friend request"? In addition to "messaging" my old friends on "FB", I have also reconnected with one friend for lunch, another by phone, and soon will visit with another en route to visit family. Such is the intention of social media and networking. I certainly do not need to explain Facebook to a college student or a recent graduate.

The benefits of joining Twitter and LinkedIn may be less obvious to college students and recent grads. Yet both social media sites are constantly in the news and rapidly attracting members. They, similarly, are vital to your job search.

In February, while visiting with my kids and their friends at college, I took an informal poll about Twitter. I had been reading a lot about it but could not grasp the purpose. I was surprised that in this group of a dozen college students only one was "tweeting" on Twitter, most were unfamiliar with it, and I was still unable to make sense of it. Last week I finally took the plunge and joined (username: MomBlogsBest, if you want to follow me) Twitter. Hey, I even beat Oprah, who finally joined later in the week. (And by the way, my 87 year old aunt just joined Twitter this week, as well!) I am still trying to understand its purpose, but I have read that Twitter, like other social networking sites, is one more way to advertise your credentials, and to network as part of your job search. More on that topic in a future posting.

LinkedIn, however, is the most recognized social media network for professionals, with over 35 million members. If you have not yet joined, take some time and familiarize yourself with the benefits of becoming a member. Both my college senior and freshman have become members in recent months in search of contacts and jobs. Plan to include your resume and letters of recommendation as part of your profile. LinkedIn enables you to network with friends, co-workers, parents, and friends' parents to build your extended group of contacts and increase your opportunities for employment. For more information, read Alison Doyle's article Ten tips to enhance your job search on LinkedIn. If you will soon be graduating, be certain to check out the '09 Grad Guide on LinkedIn.


Please Note: If you are reading a posting from this blog through sources
other than the actual blog or a subscription to the blog,
you can find additional postings from Mom Knows Best at:
http://bloggermomknowsbest.blogspot.com/
where you will also find a link enabling you to subscribe directly to the blog.
Thanks.
Mom

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Help make this a better blog. Comments welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home