Mom Knows Best

Useful information intended for college students and graduates starting out on their own, from daily living tips, to recipes, freebies, budgeting and much, much more.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Protecting your iPod With a Little Ingenuity

Recently my daughter (Sarah) became the recipient of an iPod and requested that I knit her an iPod sock for some added protection. Considering its small size, this seemed like a fairly simple undertaking - - something I could create with some leftover yarn.

Since Sarah attends college in another state, the greater challenge was determining the appropriate measurements. So began my search. I was able to find a picture of an iPod Sock (sold by Apple) online, helping me to understand her specific request. From there I was amazed by the number of sites offering instructions for creating a handmade iPod sock. Well, sort of amazed. The truth is, nearly everything seems to be on the internet. Often it is more a matter of reminding ourselves to search.

Now the fun part. Here are a few of the terrific sites I located. There are plenty more, so you may want to perform your own online search.

Perhaps one of the most obvious sites to check would have been a yarn company. Lion Brand Yarn, of course, offers a pattern for knitting an iPod Sock. Check their site for the Free Knitting Pattern for an iPod Sock, for beginners. You may need to register.

Instructables.com offers many different sets of directions for making iPod cases. Check out this one, Yet Another iPod Case, and also consider some additional options in the right hand column. There are even instructions for the creation of a case for other electronics, such as your PDA and camera.

Lastly, blogger Suw Charman requested that her "mum" knit her an iPod sock. The knitting instructions are provided on her blog, Chocolate and Vodka::DIY iPod socks. Kudos to Suw for suggesting that her "mum" add a pocket for storing the earphones. How simple and clever!

In the end, I decided not to knit the sock. This winter I lost one of my favorite gloves. Sarah has always eyed that particular pair of gloves. Taking my inspiration from these other sites, instead I chose to make use of the one lonely glove and remove the fingers to remake the glove into an iPod Sock. I remodeled the remaining yarn from the fingers into the earphone case. I have to say, it's really pretty cute. It may need a little tweaking once Sarah is home for spring break with her iPod in tow, but that should be an easy fix.


Please Note: If you are reading a posting from this blog through sources
other than the actual blog or a subscription to the blog,
you can find additional postings from Mom Knows Best at:
http://bloggermomknowsbest.blogspot.com/
where you will also find a link enabling you to subscribe directly to the blog.
Thanks.
Mom

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Help make this a better blog. Comments welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home