Mom Knows Best

Useful information intended for college students and graduates starting out on their own, from daily living tips, to recipes, freebies, budgeting and much, much more.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

History in the Making!

After one of the longest running campaigns that I can recall, we now have a new president-elect. Regardless of your political beliefs, this was an historical event for the United States.

For those college students reading my blog, I imagine you had the luxury of spending election night attending a well planned event on campus, surrounded by thousands of your "closest" friends! Lucky you. The energy must have been amazing. Personally, my kids, who both attend a university in the Boston area, were similarly participating in a school wide event. We kept in touch throughout the evening with text messages, instant messages, and phone calls. And when the election was ultimately decided, my kids happened to be together, and called home. I can only imagine how many cell phones were in use at that moment! All of us will always remember where we were and who we were with when history was made, and share those memories for years to come.

Here's my tip for today. Before the supplies run out, head out early and purchase your local newspaper, as a memento from this election. I suggested to my kids that they pick up the Boston Globe, while I ran out early to buy extra copies of the New York Times.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At November 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great Idea! You have always been my go to gal for everything from restaurant recommendations to things to do in NYC. Always a fountain of information. - My best wishes in your endeavor. Deb

     
  • At November 6, 2008 at 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nancy, Wish I had read this Mon. night! I have the front page of the NY Times for every election since I can remember -- at about noon here in California, I decided to go buy a copy to add to my collection. Drove all over town and couldn't find one. I met a black woman at one of the newsstands who had stopped at every exit along the 101 for 15 miles and she couldn't find a copy. She was in tears. The local Barnes & Noble had sold out by 9 a.m. I heard on the evening news that there was a copy on ebay going for almost $200. Maybe you should include stock advice in your blog! Robin

     

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Help make this a better blog. Comments welcome.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home